Large Brands and OEM Production
Verification Audit Process
For large brands and those using OEM production to become Approved to sell boards carrying the ECOBOARD Project label, the following must be completed:
A comprehensive audit of the board manufacturing site that is specific to the boards of the brand in question. This will include the review of:
- The use and management of Qualified Materials and lams/logos
- Systems to manage waste and recycling
- Energy use and renewable energy inputs
- Systems to manage worker health and safety
- Systems and processes that the brand has in place to ensure Qualified Materials are used on boards carrying the ECOBOARD Project label
- The brand’s approach to developing artwork for boards and specifying the use of the ECOBOARD Project label
- How the brand markets and communicates the environmental qualities of boards carrying the ECOBOARD Project label
A comprehensive review of the broader sustainability programs that the brand is implementing. This may include:
- Sustainability initiatives for products beyond surfboards (i.e. paddles, fins, board-bags, clothing);
- Activities to manage and mitigate carbon emissions (i.e. procuring renewable energy, involvement in a carbon offset program);
- Support of environmental not for profits;
- Engagement with customers and the community regarding sustainability;
- Take-back and recycling programs for boards at end of life.
The results of the audit are confidential. Each brand will be provided a comprehensive audit report, which includes key results, observations and recommendations. Sustainable Surf will work with each brand to communicate key sustainability-related out-takes via the ECOBOARD Project website and other forums.
This information also allows Sustainable Surf and each brand to manage communications about boards carrying the ECOBOARD Project label.
Use of the ECOBOARD Project logo
The program requires all large brands to pay an Annual Program Fee ($2,500) and a minimum $1 (USD) fee per board designated as an ECOBOARD.
Sustainable Surf will work with each brand to develop a clear strategy for the use of the ECOBOARD Project label on boards. Generally, this will include a gradual ‘roll-out’ specific to the boards and construction methods in question.
Communications regarding the brand’s involvement in the ECOBOARD Project should also be discussed with Sustainable Surf.
Annual Program Fee
In addition to a fee per board designated as an ECOBOARD, large brands are required to pay an Annual Program Fee of $2,500. This contribution helps to fund:
- An annual audit as per the ECOBOARD Project program requirements
- Direct support and consultation from Sustainable Surf relating to surfboard sustainability
- Maintenance of a detailed listing on the ECOBOARD Project site